Telecom Service Technician II - Splicer
Kitsap Public Utility District #1
Telecom Technician Job DescriptionJob Title : Telecom Service Technician II - Splicer
Reporting To : Superintendent of Telecom
Department : Telecom
Job Type : Full-Time
Pay Range : $30.00 - $35.00 per hour DOE
Location : Poulsbo, WA Monday – Friday, varying hours between 7:30 am – 4 pm
The Fiber Optic Cable Splicer plays a vital role in ensuring quality and timely deliveries of our fiber services along with additional services to customers. A successful Splicer is skilled in fiber optic splicing with an understanding in engineering and splicing drawings. The person filling this position will have project management skills, ability to work independently, knowledge of construction practices for outside plant fiber placement, sufficient experience with computers, and have a background in fiber optic splicing documentation practices.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prep and fuse or mechanically splice SM and occasionally MM fiber optic cables, in both outdoor and indoor settings.
- Construct proper splice cases pressurized and non-pressurized, using all types and sizes of cable, including but not limited to: grounding, bonding, isolation, slack storage and sealing
- Able to place a mid-sheath splice.
- Work with Construction PM’s and/or OSP Engineers to perform fiber installation as directed.
- Test and troubleshoot fiber using an OTDR, optical power meter, fiber identifier and scope.
- Perform on-call rotation responding to and restoring services for emergency calls, responsible for being on the job at short notice to repair damaged cables until service is restored.
- Review and interpret underground and aerial cable records in existing records, on maps or in the field.
- Make precise recommendations for changes in running fiber optic cables, or provide input into construction methodologies.
- Participate in engineering, permit and construction processes.
- Perform all work as necessary to conform to quality control guidelines (includes compliance with requirements outlined in applicable regulations such as: OSHA, FCC, NESC and NEC, etc ; as well as following procedures as outlined in the Installation, Technical, Operations, and Safety Manuals, and Employee Handbook.)
- Clean, maintain, stock, and secure assigned vehicle and equipment.
- Participate with telecom and non-telecom staff to enhance operational processes within KPUD.
- Be proficient in basic computer applications using a computer to prepare documents, data entry, and e-mail.
- Work flexible hours and after hours that could include nights and weekends.
- Have strong communication skills that are absolutely essential, as is a cooperative attitude toward co-workers and third-party vendors.
- Maintain a positive attitude and strong work ethic that can provide high productivity with minimal supervision.
- Work effectively under pressure and with frequent interruptions.
- Work indoors in poorly ventilated areas such as attics during extreme heat, with possible exposure to dust, dirt, noise, insects and cleaning solutions.
- Work outdoors in all kinds of weather and at all times of the day or night.
- Perform work near power lines and electricity
- Have regular, reliable and punctual attendance and with a professional manner.
- Perform other work related tasks, as assigned.
Required: High school diploma or equivalent with five years of fiber splicing work experience.
Desired: Light Brigade Courses-FTTx OPS Design, Advanced OPS Technician, Certified Fiber to the Home Professional (CFHP)
- Ability to adhere to Local, Federal regulations and Company policies.
- Proficient with construction equipment, hand tools, fusion splicer, OTDR, fiber identifiers and scope.
- Ability to carry, climb and operate extension ladder, (approx. 28 ft high and 75 pounds).
- Ability to lift and move up to 100 pounds.
- Ability to climb poles using gaffs and climbing belt as needed.
- Ability to drive company vehicles (bucket truck) in a safe and responsible manner and operate hydraulic aerial lifts.
- Ability to perform job from high places (i.e. poles and roofs).
- Experience in the use of bucket, boom and lift equipment.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perceptions and the ability to adjust focus.
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and organize effectively.
- Basic understanding of Outlook, Excel and Word.
- Valid driver's license, auto insurance, with a satisfactory driving record.
- Ability to wear safety boots and equipment.
Applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, genetic information.
Applicants need to submit a completed job application to firstname.lastname@example.org.